Stuttgart Airport (STR)
History, Facts and Overview
Built in the late thirties as a replacement for the smaller Böblingen Airfield nearby, Stuttgart Airport was soon after used by the US Air Force for a number of years, who currently still operate a small helicopter base here. In 1948, the airport was used for commercial flights by the city of Stuttgart and expanded to meet projected demands. After more than 75 years of use, the original terminal building was replaced recently in the year of 2004.
Today, the Stuttgart Airport has all the facilities one would expect of an international airport. These include two banks operated by Reisebank, a post office, ATM machines and other financial services, information desks and a lost property office.
Other amenities include a good selection of around 30 different retail outlets and duty-free shops, such as the Albatros Flight Shop, Bon Voyage, Bonita, Market Place, Rall Air Rundflüge, Schuh & Schlüssel, Travel Value and Treffpunkt Buch.
There are also around 20 restaurants, bars and cafés in all of the terminals at Stuttgart Airport. These include the News Café, Presse Bar, the Sea Food Trattoria and the Panorama Restaurant, which offers impressive views and fine dining. For travel information, there are around 30 agencies onsite, while those that have time on their hands make like to consider a helicopter tour of the Stuttgart area. These are available at the General Aviation Terminal and operated by Heliplus GMBH.